SINGAPORE: The MIFARE4Mobile Industry Group, consisting of leading players in the Near Field Communication (NFC) ecosystem including Ericsson, Gemalto, Giesecke & Devrient, NXP Semiconductors, Oberthur Technologies, STMicroelectronics and ViVOtech, announced the new roadmap for MIFARE4Mobile specifications.
The companies are collaborating to integrate support for the following new features and technologies in the next version 2.0 of the MIFARE4Mobile specifications:
* Full support of MIFARE Classic, MIFARE DESFire and MIFARE DESFire EV1 applications.
* Support for multiple Trusted Service Managers.
* Support for multiple MIFARE applications on the same secure element.
* Compliance with GlobalPlatform 2.2.
* End-to-end security between service provider and MIFARE application.
* Backward compatibility to MIFARE4Mobile 1.01.
With the release of version 2.0 of the specification, which is expected in Q3 2011, MIFARE4Mobile will fulfill the requirements for the entire life-cycle management of MIFARE applications in mobile devices.
Initially developed by NXP Semiconductors, MIFARE4Mobile is a technology which is used to manage MIFARE-based services in NFC mobile devices, from over-the-air installation to end-user interaction via the user interface of the mobile phone. The MIFARE4Mobile Industry Group acts as a platform to guide the evolution of MIFARE4Mobile technology. The aim of the group is to standardize and advance the uniform management of MIFARE applications on NFC-enabled secure elements, such as SIM cards, and mobile phones.
MIFARE has become the most widely adopted contactless technology on the market today and is an essential element in public transportation schemes, ticketing systems, loyalty programs, and access management around the world.